Tuesday 9 October 2012

THE ARSENAL OF MARKETING








I was at a writer’s summit last week and while in a conversation with one of the organizers, I was asked a question that almost swept me off my feet.

“Dan” he began, “I heard you say you blog about entrepreneurship and leadership, what exactly do you know about entrepreneurship?” he asked. I actually opened my mouth to respond to the question but nothing came forth. I was like a phone that has suddenly lost its network signal and my brain couldn’t process the right words at that time.

If only I was on the Frank Edoho’s Who Wants to Be a Millionaire show, I would have phoned a friend or asked the audience.

“What exactly do you know about entrepreneurship at this your age?” he asked again but this time I could sense he was mocking. He sounded as if I was some 16 year old kid across the block. I opened my mouth again but this time around the words kept flowing as if I was doing freestyle on the Dj Jimmy Jatt’s Jimmy Jump Off show on TV.

“One thing I have learnt from entrepreneurship over time, is that you have to start somewhere and that is what I am doing right now” I answered confidently.

I have terribly digressed. I apologize.

Today I want to share with you a secret I discovered in marketing. When people hear the word marketing, they automatically believe it only has to do with all those MBA and accounting shit (permit me to use that word), so they don’t want to get involved.

Marketing is not limited to selling goods. In order for you to fulfill the purpose for which you were created, you have to market yourself. Millions of youths are jobless just because they lack the right marketing skills.

You can only be a success in marketing when you put your mind in it. If you cannot convince yourself or believe in what you are doing, you cannot convince others to do likewise.

Marketing is like dating… you have to be committed for the long haul and you must be a powerful communicator and your actions must mirror your belief.

Everyone has unlimited potentials in them that requires the right marketing skill to be unleashed.

One thing I have seen in people over time is that they don’t act because they are afraid of the end result. A glass of cold water has absolutely no value to a thirsty man unless he drinks it. Likewise, although you may possess tremendous potential, unless you develop your potential so it can benefit others, it is worthless.

 One of the worst mistakes you can make is charging blindly ahead, without gathering complete information. I am not saying you need to know every little thing to the point you get bogged down with analysis paralysis. 

What I mean is, decide what you need to know going in, then make sure you get that information.

Before you invest your time or money in something seek experts and gather enough Intel on it.

Another arsenal of marketing is persistence, this is my favorite. If you have not read my article on PERSISTENCE http://sadiqdaniel.blogspot.com/2012/08/what-quitters-are-afraid-to-do.html you should do that now.

The ability not to take NO for an answer would take you places beyond your wildest imagination. Do what you have to do to get what you want out of life in as much as it is the right thing.

It is difficult to recognize opportunity because it comes as a disguise hereby making non- persistent people quit.

Persistence is the only tool that can survive the blades of rejection and I would advise that you use it, teach it and live it. In your road to success, many obstacles will stand between you and your goal. Don’t abandon your goals: instead, consider altering the path you are taking to reach them.

If you persist eventually you will find the road to success.

I hope you have been touched by this piece and I would like to hear your views on this article.

Feel free to share with your friends.
                                                                                                                                     SADIQ DANIEL